They are so small, yet are the most dangerous animal in the world. Communities spend countless hours and dollars on the eradication, but to no avail. It is the ubiquitous mosquito.
Many do not realize it, but the female mosquitoes are the only ones that bite. The female uses the blood proteins to feed their larvae. The itch and allergic reaction comes from the saliva of the mosquito – necessary to stop blood from coagulating during feeding.
Many will certainly feel the effects of a mosquito bite specifically the itching, burning and redness. Some, albeit a very small number, will have serious allergic reactions. These will include larger areas of itching, inflammation of the lymph system and rarely, anaphylactic shock.
Over time, many will develop somewhat of an immunity to the bites and the effects will decrease slightly. Meanwhile there are a few things that can be done to minimize mosquito bites and their procreation.
-Use repellants – Mosquitoes follow carbon dioxide trails to their targets. Repellants mask you from the mosquito. The most effective repellants have high percentages of Deet.
-Citronella candles – Those who enjoy spending summer evenings outside will find these candles are as helpful as the repellant. Plus the candles give off a pleasant scent.
-Lighter colored clothes – Dark colors trap heat making you more susceptible.
-Pour out all standing water – Mosquitoes breed in standing water. Empty pet water dishes and any areas of standing water outside.
This should give you a better idea on mosquito allergies and how to prevent them. Treatment of the bites include topical ointments and calamine lotions. More severe reactions may require a trip to your local allergy doctor who can perform allergy testing and discuss long term treatment options.