The AAAAI released their second choose wisely list about specific tests and procedures allergists do. Here are their 5 recommendations.
1. For severe allergic reactions, don’t rely on anti-histamines.
2. Food IgE testing should only be performed if there is a history consistent with a potential food allergic reaction.
3. In patients who are seafood allergic, routine premedication or low osmolar radiocontrast media is not necessary.
4. Egg allergic patients should not routinely avoid influenza vaccination.
5. Patients who have a penicilin allergy should be properly evaluated before over using non-beta lactam antibiotics.